Thursday, May 31, 2007

Clothing

In my last post, I mentioned that it doesn't feel all that cold down here if you are wearing the right gear (and of course it's not blowing a gale and below -20). Just to give you an idea of what I wear for quad trips at the moment, here is a list of what I wear, which doesn't include the extra gear I carry in my pack in case it gets really cold.

Start with a two pairs of socks, then two pairs of thermal pants, a pair of polar fleece pants, two thermal tops, a polar fleece top, a pair of Ventile overalls (these are the windproof orange pants you can see in the photos), a big heavy down jacket (that bright yellow number), a pair of glove liners, a pair of wristlets, big gloves if I feel cold, a neck warmer, a balaclava, a scarf and my big Glacier boots - these have very thick soles and come with liners. Add to all this a full face helmet with heated visor, heated handle bars and thumb throttle lever and finished off with mitts over the handle bars to keep the wind off your hands and you will be ready to tackle a quad trip down here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

Well you'll definately come back big and strong carrying all that extra weight around...

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home