Sunday, January 28, 2007

Australia Day

The Australia Day festivities here kicked off with a fun run (two words previously thought to be mutually exclusive) out to Dingle Lake. There were two separate starting categories - runners and walkers. I was neither. I was posted to the roll of "support driver" and "second official photographer". Unfortunately, during the week I had done myself a damage with a sledgehammer (one lazy swing, one trip to the doctor and zero bruises to show for it), and was unable to participate in this event. The group running really had it tough, with fierce headwinds slowing them down, but allowing record times for the trip back. The walkers came back in a conga line, so God only knows how much they had to drink for breakfast.

From left: Rod Mac, Tomo, Alex, Tony S, Karl, Dave P, Catherine, Annette, Mal and Roger Tony S was very relieved to reach the turnaround point

Following the run was the much anticipated swim. A few of the braver (read: dumber) ones amongst us decided to brave the icy waters. And it was bloody icy! I lasted a whole 31 seconds. I know because I took my camera in with me - caught it on video. Then it was into the back of one of the Haggs to be transported up to the services building, which is where the spa and sauna are, to thaw out.

From left: Troy, John L-S, Stewart (the lifesaver), Tony M, Glenn M, me, Shane, Karl, Catherine, Annette, Jim and Alex
Photo: G Oakley

I'm 5th from the left - head just out of the water, holding my camera

Photo: G Oakley

After the thawing was complete it was off to lunch (meat pies, sausage rolls and lamingtons) followed by a game of cricket in the green store. The Number Ones got beaten by the Number Twos by two runs, and cricket was definitely the loser on the day. Dinner followed, which was a spit roast and bbq in the dieso's workshop. A few of the guys got into the spirit of the day by wearing patriotic clothing, which lead to the following photo.

Look mum, I'm a hooker! The Davis front row, consisting of Yogi, myself and Dick

Photo: M Ryan

Just for something different, we ended up at the bar for a few refreshing ales, and also to enjoy the open mike session. Once again I couldn't help myself and I got up and sung a few (how many??) songs, highlighted by my guest appearance as the Devil in Tenacious D's "Tribute". The worst thing about the day was that we had to be up for work the next morning. The best thing about the day is that I have rediscovered my ability to function on just over three hours sleep...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home