Friday, April 13, 2007

Bloody fire alarms!

We have had an interesting few nights here this week. It all started at 2300 on Wednesday night when the fire alarm went off. I was still awake reading my book when it went off, and the best thing was I was still fully dressed in my work gear so I was ready to respond. I was the first one to the muster point in the LQ foyer, and it was quite fun to see everyone making their way down. As they were coming over the stairs, I was giving running commentary- "You were asleep, you were asleep, you were awake, and you were definitely asleep!" Anyway I thought it was pretty funny. Till the next night. Thursday night it went off again (after also going off during the day), but this time it was 0330, and everyone was asleep. Trying to get your brain instantly into gear is not all that easy. I thought I had done a good job getting dressed and down to the foyer, I had even managed to put undies on (it was a line ball decision - do I save myself 5 seconds by not wearing any? In the end I went for warmth), which can't be said for everyone. Then when it was all over and I got back to my room, I realised I had them on inside out. Ah, close enough. The worst part about a night time alarm is that it is really hard to get back to sleep afterwards. There were a few tired people on Friday morning.

7 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Hi son. Just a word of maternal advice following the undergarment dilema mentioned in your blog. NEVER leave home without clean underwear and a clean hankie. You just never know where you might end up. Stay safe and warm. xxx

5:30 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Your Mum is right... because you definitely need clean undies just in case you are hit by a bus - which is HIGHLY likely in the busy bustling transport hub of Antartica!!! ;)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Brendan... said...

I agree on not leaving home without clean undies, but I don't have to leave home to get to the muster point. (Gee, I should be a lawyer - I can find the loopholes in anyhthing! I never have to wash my jocks ever again!!!)

6:11 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Brendan,
I don't really know you but I feel as a mother I had to comment on the undergarment situation.
Everyone knows it's just a rule, clean undies, clean hankie. There are lots of other ways to rebel, not with this.
As for your lawyeristic loop hole, I don't think we'll be seeing the dirty undie precedant from the Hopkins v's Hopkins undie case of 2007. But stranger things have happened.
Keep up the fantastic work.
Lisa

2:56 AM  
Blogger Brendan... said...

Every male knows that undies are optional. Notice how it's only women who telling us to wear jocks. They want to opress us, confine us in mini cotton prisons.

Well, I say enough! Join with me brothers, together we can rise up (pun absolutely intended) against our evil overlords! Burn your undies! I say let your boys run free!

3:39 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Hi Brendan. As i am laid up on the couch at the moment i have decided to take up your undies cause. I am now free and alone as no one will visit me. Anyway keep on truckin'.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Uncle said...

To undie or not to undie?? that is the question!!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home