Sunday, December 02, 2007

Still at Davis

So it's now December and I am still here at Davis waiting for the CASAs to turn up to fly over to Casey for the summer. I know it has been quite a while since my last post, but things have been very busy here. The transition period in going from winter to summer, saying goodbye to some good friends and making some new ones, has been quite an emotional roller coaster leaving me somewhat disinterested with the blog. But the good news is that I'm back now, and things will definitely pick up if I ever get to Casey!

I thought I would start with a few pics of when the ship was here.



At this time of year the sea ice is thick enough for the ship to park right up into it. It just smashes it's way in till it can't go much further then stops. It keeps the engine running to nose into the ice for stability, and also to keep a pool of open water behind it to get out. For safety reasons you are not allowed to walk any further aft than the bunker door - which is the open door you can see with the gangway coming down.

One of the big moments for me was the handover ceremony at which time the station is officially handed over to the incoming crew and the old crew are no longer responsible for the day to day running of the station. This is when we are awarded our Antarctic service medallions. When receiving the medallions you know that you have finally made it through an Antarctic winter which is a really good feeling. Here is my medallion:



And this is a pic of the AA departing for Mawson. The ship is due to dock back at Hobart tomorrow (Monday 3rd) at 8am, and I know there are some very excited people both on the ship and on the shore ready to greet them.



Back here at Davis the works programs have been going gangbusters. Summer is a very busy time and there has not been a dull moment yet. But easily the best thing I have done so far this summer is being involved in moving pipework for the new outfall line - with a helicopter. Because of the rocky and uneven ground we are moving the pipe into groups near where they are to be installed. Then the old sections are also removed after we have cut them out. Moving pipe has never been so easy, or fun. It gets bloody windy and noisy when you are working near a helicopter though.


Glen Hoger slinging the new pipe lengths

Glen unloading the old pipe with Sharon up the hill ready to sling the next length

Just an artistic shot of the helicopter at work

2 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

chewbacca does exist do you need some more razors sent down?

3:09 AM  
Blogger Brendan... said...

No, I think I'm ok for razor blades.I brought down about thirty of them, and have used maybe 6 in the early days. Thanks for the offer though!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home