Monday, December 10, 2007

My last post from Davis

Hi all, this should be my last post from Davis as the CASA's are on their way over from Casey as I write this. The plan is for them to overnight here and then tomorrow head back to Casey with a stop at the Bunger Hills (which is about 2/3 of the way between here and Casey) to do a bit of clean up work. I am so excited about going to the Bunger Hills, so few people are lucky enough to get the chance to have a close look at the area. I would have been very happy just to fly over them. But of course with all things Antarctic, any of this is subject to change at short notice but fingers crossed this is how things will pan out.

We have been working on replacing the ageing sewer outfall line, and late last week we installed the third 100m plus section of pipework. What we do is prepare a section of pipe, then cut it out and install the new pipe all in one day. The job is going really well at the moment, but the biggest problem is securing the exclusive ute for the day. Till a novel solution was thought of.

No one will ever find it in here



Friday night saw one of the expeditioners here put up their hair for a charity head shave. Somewhere in the vicinity of $10,000 was raised in about an hour. This was more than enough for the shave to proceed. Well done Sharon, and everyone who donated to the cause.



Sharon before


And after

Saturday night was billed as an "open mic" night, but basically turned out to be a karaoke night. And as some people might know, I'm not entirely shy when it comes to getting up an having a bit of a sing myself. So anyway I had a great night.



With Matt, singing "Hotel California" - voted best song of the night


A touching moment with Tony, singing "Suspicious Minds"

Some of the guys got together to sing me a farewell song, "Leaving on a jet plane", but unfortunately it wasn't working on the machine so I got "California Girls" instead. Go figure.


From left: Paul (plumber), Yogi, Ken (chippies), Ben, Mark and Joe (plumbers)

So that's it from me from Davis, the next post will be from Casey. Just a note that my email address will change, as will my phone number, but I will send that info out soon. Or you can always leave a message on here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

All appears and sounds a bit of an emotional farewell really. But Casey looks great. I'm sure you will have just as good a time there. A change is as good as a holiday they say..

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home