Friday, March 07, 2008

Goodbye Antarctica


We are finally leaving Mawson (and Antarctica) today. We arrived on the first of March and after some very ordinary weather we will be finished the resupply sometime this afternoon. I ended up spending four nights on station after the ship had to leave in a hurry. It wasn't a bad thing though as I got to have a good look around, and also did some work. As pretty as Mawson is I am pretty sure that I wouldn't want to spend a whole lot of time there as the wind would just be too much.
For those of you reading this today or tomorrow (8/9th March) there is a feature in this weekend's Age magazine written by the journos who came down to Casey on the Airbus.
I am wondering if I should now write some big sign off piece about how amazing my time has been down here, but I just don't think that I have to. You have seen some of the photos and read some of the things that I have been up to so you know how much of a good time I have had down here. What I will say is a big, big thank you to Mum, Dad, Paul and Marney for all their support during my time down here - not only for the time on the continent, but also before I left home. Phone calls, emails, doing shopping for me, heaps of stuff to make things a little easier for me down here. Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it. And to everyone else who kept me informed of the goings on at home, thank you too.
Well that's it for me, I'm coming home. See you all very soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home