Saturday, April 21, 2007

Bridges, Bread, BA and Bogans

We went out on Friday to finish off the surveying on Heidemann Bay. All was good until we finished the job and decided to head home. Problem was, the tide had come in, creating a moat between us and the shore. We couldn't cross back where we left the ute, or anywhere at all for that matter. We had two choices - sit and wait for the tide to go down (it was still half an hour till high tide) or walk back around to station over the sea ice to see if we could get across. We decided to walk back to station. When we got there, we were faced with the same conditions. By this stage, a few of the guys on station had heard our radio chatter, so they knew what was going on. Enter Glen H with a pair of ten foot steps to use as a bridge. Once we tied the sleds down and found a safe place to set up, it was just a matter of scooting over the ladder to get to shore.

Glen, you're my hero!

I went back the next day to get the sleds, and it was a matter of walking straight across the ice (with boot chains on). The tide had gone down, and the shore line had frozen over again. The power of the tide is really amazing, considering the tonnes and tonnes of ice that it can move around seemingly at will. It was also a reminder that the sea ice really is floating beneath our feet no matter how solid it feels.

Frozen over once again

On Saturday morning I had a bit of spare time, so I went into the kitchen to help Tony out. I have found that I really enjoy making bread, so I made the bread and the rolls for the weekend. Now I think he wants me to do it all the time.

Fresh straight out of the oven

Thursday afternoon saw us get re-acquainted with some of the fire fighting gear during a training session. As most of us haven't had to pull on a BA (breathing apparatus) mask since the training back in Hobart, we all had a go. What some of the guys and I realised was that it is a bit harder to get a seal on your mask with a beard. But this is what the training session was all about.

Yogi and I - self portrait

But the highlight of the week would have to be last Wednesday night's dinner. Whilst checking out the Herald Sun website for news from home I stumbled across a bloke who's Fitzroy restaurant has started selling "Bogan Burgers". I printed the article off and gave it to Tony, thinking he would just laugh and throw it out - but no, he made us Bogan Burgers, bless his cotton socks. A Bogan Burger consists of a piece of steak, followed by a slice of cheese, a chicken schnitzel, a potato cake, egg, bacon and onion (optional pineapple and beetroot, which I didn't have) topped with tomato sauce and served with chips. Most of us got through the whole thing, and one bloke even going back for more chips. It was so big, I made the decision not to wipe my hands or face until after I had finished the whole lot, or it would have had to happen after every bite. Most did the same. It was disgusting and wrong, but so, so good!

Bogan Burger

2 Comments:

Blogger Marney said...

Nice buns!! Wait can I say that as your sister???

7:18 PM  
Blogger Bec said...

yep i think i could get through one of them. how does it compare with the aussie mexican

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home